43. DOMESTIC SERVICE :





"O BRAHMANAS, we have been
deceived by the sons of Dhritarashtra,
cheated out of our kingdom and reduced
to poverty. Still we have passed these
years cheerfully with joy in the forest. The
thirteenth year of exile has come, and with
it the time for us to part from you. For we
have to spend the next twelve months
undiscovered by the spies of Duryodhana.
God knows when the day will dawn which
will see us together again, without fear or
concealment. Now, bless us before we go.
And may we escape the notice of those
who may wish to betray us to the sons of
Dhritarashtra, either through fear or hope
of reward."



So spoke Yudhishthira to the brahmanas
who were living with the Pandavas till
then. His voice shook with emotion as he
spoke these words.



Dhaumya consoled him. He said: "Parting,
is hard, and the dangers are many and
great. But you are too wise and learned to
be shaken or daunted. You must disguise
yourselves. Indra, the Lord of gods, when
pested by the demons, disguised himself
as a brahmana and lived unknown in the
country of Nishadha. Safely concealed
thus, he managed to destroy his enemies.



You must also do likewise. Did not
Mahavishnu, the Lord of the Universe,
become a child in the womb of Aditi,
suffer human birth, and take away from
Emperor Bali his kingdom for the
salvation of the world? Did not Lord
Narayana, the refuge of men, enter into
the weapon of Indra to defeat Vritra, the
asura king? Did not the Fire god hide
himself in the waters for the sake of the
gods? Does not the moon keep out of
sight every day? Did not Lord Vishnu, the
all-pervading God, descend as the son of
Dasaratha and spend long years, suffering
many sorrows for the sake of killing
Ravana? The greatest souls in the past
have sanctified disguise for a good
purpose. You will, likewise, conquer your
enemies and win prosperity."



Yudhishthira took leave of the brahmanas
and gave the members of his retinue leave
to go home. The Pandavas retired to a
secluded spot in the forest and discussed
their future line of action. Yudhishthira
sadly asked Arjuna: "You are well
conversant with the ways of the world.
Where would it be best for us to spend the
thirteenth year?"



Arjuna replied: "O great king, you know
Yama, the Lord of Death, has blessed us.
We can easily pass the twelve months
together without being discovered. There
are many charming states for us to choose
from for our sojourn, states like Panchala,
Matsya, Salva, Videha, Bahlika,
Dasharna, Surasena, Kalinga, and
Magadha. It is, of course, for you to
choose. But if I may venture an opinion,
the Matsya country of king Virata is the
best, prosperous and charming as it is."



Yudhishthira answered: "Virata, the king
of Matsya, is very strong and he loves us
much. He is of mature judgment and is
devoted to the practice of virtue. He will
not be won over or frightened by
Duryodhana. I agree that it would be best
to live incognito in Virata's kingdom."
Arjuna said: "Well then, O king, what
work would you seek in the court of
Virata?"



When he asked this question, Arjuna was
full of sorrow at the thought of
Yudhishthira, the great and guileless king,
who had performed the Rajasuya
sacrifice, having to disguise himself and
take service.



Yudhishthira answered: "I am thinking of
asking Virata to take me in his service as a
courtier. I could delight him with my
conversation and my dexterity at dice. I
shall take the garb of a sanyasin and shall
keep him agreeably engaged by my skill
in reading omens and knowledge
ofastrology as well as of the Vedas,
Vedangas, ethics, politics and other
sciences. I shall have to be careful of
course, but be not anxious about me. I
shall tell him that I was an intimate friend
of Yudhishthira and learnt these things
while I was privileged to be with him. O
Bhima, what works will you, who
conquered and slew Baka and Hidimba,
take up under Virata? You saved us by
killing Jatasura. Valor and strength are
over-flowing from you. What disguise can
hide your mighty personality and enable
you to live unknown in the country of
Mastya?" Yudhishthira was in tears as he
put this question to Bhima.



Bhima laughingly replied: "O king, I
think of taking service as a cook in the
court of Virata. You know that I have a
great appetite and that I am also an expert
in cooking. I shall please Virata by
preparing such dainty food as he has never
tasted. I shall chop the trees of the forest
and bring heaps of fuel. I shall also delight
the king by contending with and defeating
the wrestlers who come to his court."



This made Yudhishthira anxious for he
feared that danger might befall them if
Bhima engaged himself in wrestling
bouts. At once Bhima spoke thus to calm
his fears:



"I shall not kill anyone. I may give a bad
jolt to any wrestler who deserves it but I
shall not kill anyone. I shall restrain mad
bulls, buffaloes and other wild animals
and thus entertain king Virata."



Afterwards Yudhishthira addressed
Arjuna: "What profession do you propose
to take up? How can you hide your
towering valor?"



When he asked this question Yudhishthira
could not restrain him from narrating the
brilliant exploits of Arjuna. He spoke of
his brother's glory in twenty verses. Well,
who deserves praise if not Arjuna?



Arjuna replied: "Revered brother, I shall
hide myself in the guise of a eunuch and
serve the ladies of the court. I shall hide
under a jacket the scars on my arms made
by the constant chafing of the bowstring.
When I rejected Urvasi's amorous
overtures on the ground that she was like
a mother unto me, she cursed me with loss
of manhood. But through Indra's grace the
curse would hold good only for a year,
and the time would be mine to choose. I
shall serve out that year of loss of
manhood now. Wearing bangles made of
white conchs, braiding my hair like a
woman, and clothing myself in female
attire, I shall engage myself in menial
work in the inner apartments of Virata's
queen. I shall teach the women singing
and dancing. And I shall seek service
saying that I used to serve Draupadi in
Yudhishthira's court." Saying this, Arjuna
turned to Draupadi and smiled.



Yudhishthira was in tears. "Alas! Have the
fates decreed that he, who is the equal of
Sri Krishna himself in fame and valor, a
scion of Bharata's line, who stands high
like the great golden Mount Meru, must
go and seek employment of Virata as a
eunuch in the queen's inner apartments?"
he said brokenly.



Yudhishthira then turned to Nakula and
asked him what work he would engage in
and, as he thought of Madri, the mother of
Nakula, tears rolled down his eyes.
Nakula replied: "I shall work in King
Virata's stables. My mind delights in
training and looking after horses. For I
know the heart of horses and have
knowledge of their ailments and cure. I
can not only ride and break horses but
also harness and drive them in a chariot. I
shall say that I had looked after the horses
of the Pandavas and I have no doubt
Virata will take me in his service."



Yudhishthira asked Sahadeva: "You, with
the intelligence of Brihaspati, the priest
and the preceptor of the gods, and the
knowledge of Sukra, the teacher of the
asuras, what work will you take up?"
Sahadeva replied: "Let Nakula look after
horses. I shall tend the cows. I shall guard
Virata's cattle from the ravages of disease
and the attacks of wild beasts."



"O Draupadi," but Yudhishthira could not
find words to ask her what she proposed
to do. She was dearer to him than life
itself, worthy of all reverence and
protection, and it seemed sacrilege to talk
of service. She was a princess, the
daughter of a king, nobly born, tenderly
nurtured. Yudhishthira felt choked by
shame and despair.



Draupadi saw his grief and spoke these
brave words: "O best of kings, do not
grieve or suffer anxiety on my account. I
shall be a sairandhri in the court of the
queen of Virata, the companion and
attendant of the princess. I shall preserve
my freedom and chastity, for the attendant
and companion of a princess has this right
and can exercise it. I shall pass my days in
such light tasks as braiding the hair and
entertaining the women of the court with
small talk. I shall represent that I had thus
served princess Draupadi in
Yudhishthira's court and seek employment
from the queen. Thus shall I remain
unknown to others."



Yudhishthira praised Draupadi's courage
and said: "O auspicious one, you speak as
befits one of your family."



When the Pandavas thus decided,
Dhaumya blessed them and advised them
thus: "Those who are engaged in service
under a king should always be vigilant.



They must serve without talking too
much. They may give their counsel only
when asked, and never obtrude it. They
should praise the king on befitting
occasions. All things, no matter how
small, may be done only after informing
the king, who is a veritable fire in human
form. Do not go too near him, nor yet
appear to avoid him. Even though a
person may be trusted by the king and
have great authority, still be should
always behave as if he would be
dismissed immediately, It would be
foolishness to place too much confidence
in a king. One may not sit in the
conveyance, seat or chariot of the king,
presuming on his affection. A servant of
the king should ever be active and self 
restrained.



He should not be excessively
elated, nor unduly depressed, by being
honored or dishonored by the king. He
may not reveal the secrets confided to
him, nor may he receive anything in the
form of gift from the citizens. He should
not be jealous of other servants. The king
may place fools in positions of authority,
leaving aside the wise. Such waywardness
should be ignored. One cannot be too
careful with the ladies of the court. There
should not be the faintest suggestion of
indelicacy in one's conduct towards
them."



Dhaumya then blessed the Pandavas:
"Live thus in patience for one year,
serving the king Virata, and then, you will
pass the rest of your days in happiness,
regaining your lost throne."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

42. THE ENCHANTED POOL :

The Mahabharatam : The Greatness of the Epic -1.

5. DEVAYANI AND KACHA: