60. RUKMINI :



BHISHMAKA, the king of Vidarbha, had
five sons and an only daughter, Rukmini,
a princess of matchless beauty, charm and
strength of character.


Having heard of Krishna and his renown,
she wished to be united to him in wedlock
and the desire daily grew in intensity. Her
relatives approved the idea, all except her
eldest brother Rukma, the heir apparent,
between whom and Krishna there was no
love lost.


Rukma pressed his father not to give
Rukmini in marriage to the ruler of
Dwaraka but to marry her instead to
Sisupala, the king of Chedi. The king
being old, Rukma's became the dominant
voice and it looked as though Rukmini
would be compelled to marry Sisupala.


Rukmini, whose heart was wholly
Krishna's because she was Lakshmi
incarnate, was disconsolate. She feared
that her father would be helpless against
her domineering brother and would not be
able to prevent the unhappy marriage.


Mustering all her strength of mind,
Rukmini resolved somehow to find a way
out of her predicament. She took counsel
with a brahmana whom, abandoning all
maidenly reserve, she sent as her emissary
to Krishna, charging him to explain
matters to her beloved and sue for help.


The brahmana accordingly went
toDwaraka and conveyed to Krishna
Rukmini's sad plight and her entreaty, and
handed to him the letter Rukmini had sent
through him. The letter ran as follows:


"My heart has already accepted you as
lord and master. I charge you therefore to
come and succour me before Sisupala
carries me off by force. The matter cannot
brook any delay; so you must be here
tomorrow. Sisupala's forces, as well as
Jarasandha's, will oppose you and will
have to be overcome before you can have
me. May you be the triumphant hero and
capture me! My brother has decided to
marry me to Sisupala and, as part of the
wedding ceremonies, I am going to the
temple along with my retinue to offer
worship to Parvati. That would be the best
time for you to come and rescue me. If
you do not turn up, I will put an end to my
life so that I may at least join you in my
next birth."


Krishna read this and immediately
mounted his chariot. At the king's behest,
Kundinapura, the capital of Vidarbha, was
most gorgeously decorated and
preparations for the wedding of the
princess with Sisupala were in full swing.


The bridegroom elect and his associates,
all sworn enemies of Krishna, had already
assembled in the capital. Balarama came
to know of Krishna's sudden and secret
departure, all by himself.


Guessing that it must be about the
daughter of the king of Vidarbha and
anxious lest Krishna should be hemmed in
alone by mortal enemies thirsting for his
blood, he hurriedly assembled a great
force and marched on to Kundinapura.
Leaving her apartments, Rukmini,
accompanied by her retinue, went in
procession to the temple, where divine
service was held.


"Oh Devi," implored Rukmini, praying for
her intercession. "I prostrate myself before
thee who knowest my devotion. Grant that
Krishna may espouse me."


Stepping out of the temple, Rukmini
sighted Krishna's chariot and ran straight
as a needle to the attracting magnet. She
fled to him and got into his chariot. And
Krishna drove off with her, to the
bewilderment of all around.
The servants ran to Rukma, the heir
apparent, and related what had happened.


"I will not return without killing
Janardana," swore Rukma, and went in
pursuit of Krishna with a large force.
But, meanwhile, Balarama had arrived
with his army, and a great battle ensued
between the two opposing forces in which
the enemy was utterly routed. Balarama
and Krishna returned home in triumph,
where Rukmini's wedding with Krishna
was celebrated with customary rites.


The defeated Rukma was ashamed to
return to Kundinapura and built at the
very site of the battle between Krishna
and himself a new city, Bhojakata, over
which he ruled.


Hearing of the Kurukshetra battle, Rukma
arrived there with a huge force. Thinking
that he could thereby win the friendship of
Vasudeva, he offered help to the
Pandavas.


"Oh Pandavas," said he addressing
Dhananjaya, "the enemy forces are very
large. I have come to help you. Give me
the word and I shall attack whichever
sector of the enemy formation you would
like me to. I have the strength to attack
Drona, Kripa or even Bhishma. I shall
bring you victory. Only let me know your
wish."


Turning to Vasudeva, Dhananjaya
laughed.
"Oh, ruler of Bhojakata," said Arjuna, "we
are not afraid of the size of the enemy
forces. We have no need of your help and
do not particularly desire it. You may
either go away or stay on, just as you
like."


At this, Rukma was filled with anger and
shame and went to Duryodhana's camp
with his army. "The Pandavas have
refused my proffered assistance." Said he
to Duryodhana. "My forces are at your
disposal."


"Is it not after the Pandavas rejected your
assistance that you have come here?"
exclaimed Duryodhana, and added: "I am
not in such dire need yet as to welcome
their leavings."


Rukma, thus put to disgrace by both sides,
returned to his kingdom without taking
part in battle. Neutrality in war may be of
several kinds.


It may arise from conscientious objection
to war or it may be due to mere conceit
and self-interest. Yet others may keep
aloof through cowardice or sheer inertia.
Balarama was neutral in the Mahabharata
war because of his love of peace. Rukma,
on the other hand, abstained as a result of
his conceit.


Instead of acting according to dharma, he
thought of personal glory, and neither side
would have him.


Next : 61. NON-COOPERATION


Continues...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

42. THE ENCHANTED POOL :

The Mahabharatam : The Greatness of the Epic -1.

5. DEVAYANI AND KACHA: