7. Yayati :

EMPEROR Yayati was one of the

ancestors of the Pandavas. He had never

known defeat. He followed the dictates of

the sastras, adored the gods and venerated

his ancestors with intense devotion. He

became famous as a ruler devoted to the

welfare of his subjects.

But as has already been told, he became

prematurely old by the curse of

Sukracharya for having wronged his wife

Devayani. In the words of the poet of the

Mahabharata:

"Yayati attained that old age which

destroys beauty and brings on miseries." It

is needless to describe the misery of youth

suddenly blighted into age, where the

horrors of loss are accentuated by pangs

of recollection.

Yayati, who found himself suddenly an

old man, was still haunted by the desire

for sensual enjoyment. He had five

beautiful sons, all virtuous and

accomplished. Yayati called them and

appealed piteously to their affection:

"The curse of your grandfather

Sukracharya has made me unexpectedly

and prematurely old. I have not had my

fill of the joys of life. For, not knowing

what was in store for me I lived a life of

restraint, denying myself even lawful

pleasures. One of you ought to bear the

burden of my old age and give his youth

in return. He who agrees to this and

bestows his youth on me will be the ruler

of my kingdom. I desire to enjoy life in

the full vigor of youth."

He first asked his eldest son. That son

replied: "O great king, women and

servants will mock at me if I were to take

upon myself your old age. I cannot do go.

Ask of my younger brothers who are

dearer to you than myself."

When the second son was approached, he

gently refused with the words: "Father,

you ask me to take up old age that

destroys not only strength and beauty but

also as I see wisdom. I am not strong

enough to do so."

The third son replied: "An old man cannot

ride a horse or an elephant. His speech

will falter. What can I do in such a

helpless plight? I cannot agree."

The king was angry and disappointed that

his three sons had declined to do as he

wished, but he hoped for better from his

fourth son, to whom he said: "You should

take up my old age. If you exchange your

youth with me, I shall give it back to you

after some time and take back the old age

with which I have been cursed."

The fourth son begged to be forgiven as

this was a thing he could by no means

consent to. An old man had to seek the

help of others even to keep his body clean,

a most pitiful plight. No, much as he

loved his father he could not do it.

Yayati was struck with sorrow at the

refusal of the four sons. Still, hoping

against hope, he supplicated his last son

who had never yet opposed his wishes:

"You must save me. I am afflicted with

this old age with its wrinkles, debility and

grey hairs as a result of the curse of

Sukracharya. It is too hard a trial! If you

will take upon yourself these infirmities, I

shall enjoy life for just a while more and

then give you back your youth and resume

my old age and all its sorrows. Pray, do

not refuse as your elder brothers have

done."

Puru, the youngest son, moved by filial

love, said: "Father, I gladly give you my

youth and relieve you of the sorrows of

old age and cares of state. Be happy."

Hearing these words Yayati embraced

him. As soon as he touched his son,

Yayati became a youth. Puru, who

accepted the old age of his father, ruled

the kingdom and acquired great renown.

Yayati enjoyed life for long, and not

satisfied, went later to the garden of

Kubera and spent many years with an

Apsara maiden.

After long years spent in vain efforts to

quench desire by indulgence, the truth

dawned on him.

Returning to Puru, he said: "Dear son,

sensual desire is never quenched by

indulgence any more than fire is by

pouring ghee in it. I had heard and read

this, but till now I had not realised it. No

object of desire, corn, gold, cattle or

women, nothing can ever satisfy the desire

of man, We can reach peace only by a

mental poise beyond likes and dislikes.

Such is the state of Brahman. Take back

your youth and rule the kingdom wisely

and well."

With these words Yayati took his old age.

Puru, who regained his youth, was made

king by Yayati who retired to the forest.

He spent his time there in austerities and,

in due course, attained heaven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

42. THE ENCHANTED POOL :

The Mahabharatam : The Greatness of the Epic -1.

5. DEVAYANI AND KACHA: